Thursday, October 4, 2007

Lessons from 6 months of running!

I have been officially running for 6 months. Yippe!

To keep with last months reflections on running, I will list some lessons I've learned this month:

Lesson 1. The best pre-run food(for me) is Cliff shots or anything made with brown rice syrup. I've experimented with GU, Cliff bloks, Powerbar gel, jelly beans, bananas, peanut butter, and the dreaded Luna bar - nothing really settled well in my stomach.
After studying the ingredients of the Cliff Shot (which is pricey I must say) and looking for some recipes online, I have come up with my own energy gel that seems to work:

4 Tbs brown rice syrup
2 Tbs agave syrup (nector)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
Cocoa power, vanilla, or peppermint extract for flavor(go light on the peppermint!).
My current batch is mint chocolate - but I think I'll do vanilla next.

This makes about 3-4 1oz packets. I have one of those foodsaver vacuum sealers, and I just make little mini-packets from the baggies and cut a little starter slit for easy opening.

Lesson 2. I'm a slowpoke, but I'm getting faster! I started this running adventure at a 13-14 min/mile pace, which is slower than many nuns, grandparents, and toddlers (I'll have to bLog about the nun and the toddler sometime)! I now average 10:30-11:00 minute miles (sometimes 11:30)!! Not great, but not bad!

Lesson 3. My entire family now reads my blog, so I have to start making regular posts! You'll be hearing a lot more from me!

No comments: